home-chalkboard-mantel

But we didn’t get it. I thought I would be very disappointed. Suffering from that sinking feeling. But surprisingly enough I have a “life marches on” mentality about it. Maybe is proves that the house wasn’t meant for us? Maybe it’s just me maturing a bit in this area? For whatever the reason I’m thankful for the peace of mind. We didn’t really have warm fuzzies about putting the offer in in the first place. We offered more… a lot more… than the asking price. I think we were in the running because they got back to us asking if we’d match one of the other offers that was higher, but by the time we got back to them they decided to just go along with that higher offer. This experience really shows how competitive it is here in the bay area. At least 30 people were at the open house. The house was only on the market 3 days. Last I heard there were 13 offers on the home. We never experienced this kind of competition in SoCal.

I’m reminded that a house doesn’t make your home. Yes, it’s convenient knowing you don’t run the risk of being evicted like renters do, but your  home really is where your loved ones are. The Lord blesses his people in so many ways. The fact that I have my family and a comfortable roof over my head is an abundance of blessings. To take it a step further, this life really isn’t our “home” anyway. We are pilgrims going through a journey in this life, but it is not our home. It’s best not to get hung up on these things too much because in the grand scheme it really isn’t that important. We are provided for. Sooooo in the meantime we wait. We will keep looking, hoping, praying that our renting days may be over soon, but rejoice in the comforts that we already enjoy.

home-art-flowers

7 Responses to We Made Our First Offer on a Home…

1. Aubri says:

Such a beautiful post today!! Your words warmed my heart!!

• Sarah Hettervik says:

Thanks Aubri,

It’s amazing how God really fills those voids if you genuinely ask him to. On way or another =) Hope all is well!

Hey Sarah! I’m sorry you didn’t get the house, but I think you are right, that one wasn’t meant to be your home. Yours is still out there waiting for you. The Bay Area is super competitive, especially some areas. But it’s a pretty nice place to live, so I guess that makes sense! We’re starting the housing search soon too, just in San Diego.

3. Jeni says:

Sarah – so awesome to meet you last night over drinks and girly conversation! can’t wait to read through your blog and look at all the pix of your lovely kids :)

About home buying – SF bay area is probably one of the hardest places to buy a place right now. I know, I just went through it and a few of my friends are painfully still in the process. Think – no negotiations, and competitors are either offering 20% higher than asking and/or offering to pay the down (or everything) in cash. It is a nightmare right now! That being said, stay positive and use the chance to just check out different neighborhoods and homes so you get a really good idea of what you want. And next time you’re in the city – let’s vent about this together over coffee!

4. Lorelai says:

Stumbled across your blog today and I love your attitude on this! Makes me think you will find an even better house to call a home soon :)

xoxo Lorelai
    Seams Unbiased

• Sarah Hettervik says:

Welcome! Thanks for the encouragement. We look at open houses today so who knows what could happen =) I”m going to stop by your blog right now!