Accident # 1

So, it no secret that I’m feeling liked a beached whale lately. As a result I only leave the house when we are running low on milk and eggs. After seeing on FB a few friends and family playing around with the idea of potty training I decided to read up on it. Oh man, there is a TON of different philosophies on potty training and what age to start. Some people start as early as a newborn and then others don’t start until age 3 or even older! So it was kind of hard finding what was the best fit for our family. In the end I read how some people believe a good “sensitive age” to start kids is between 12-18 months. They are young enough not to be attached to solely using diapers, but old enough to use a potty with training.

It was sunny and 70 degrees again outside…perfect potty weather. I made some salty snacks to keep her thirsty (to trigger more peeing) and then set up outside play activities for her and we just hung out and soaked up the sun. She really did so well. Yes there were accidents, but everytime I said “lets go to the potty” she did so willingly. The one-on-one time with her was really fun too. We spent a lot of time reading books and watching Elmo on my phone. Seeing her run around in those tiny panties was just the cutest too.

In the end the final score was 7 successes in the potty and 5 accidents. 2 of the successes were poopies in the potty! I didn’t change a single poopy diaper today. Yay! All of her accidents were outside so I didn’t really have much of a mess to clean up. The day wasn’t half bad. We’ll see how tomorrow goes =)

14 Responses to Gah! Potty Training…

1. Aw it sounds like she did a great job!! I know someone who helps people potty train for a living and what they do is once you put the big girl panties on, NEVER go back to diapers or it’ll be a never ending battle for you! You probably already read that somewhere though :)

2. Oh man I am majorly jealous! My son will be three in June and I might as well ask him to cut off his own arm before I ask him to go on the potty!!!! It has been quite the adventure.

3. Jes says:

yay for her!!! so glad she only had a couple accidents. i was already cracking up when i saw this in the blog feed because of that first picture. love the little puddle she left behind!

4. Cheltz says:

It’s hard to get motivated for potty training while pregnant! Good for you! She might relapse when the baby comes, but just keep on truckin’!

5. Yayy for those successes! Gosh, she is too cute.

6. thank goodness you are doing this ahead of me sarah because i would have no idea how to even start potty training. keep it up and before you know it you won’t be buying diapers for her, just the new baby

7. Julie M. says:

I’m impressed! My youngest is 3 and still not potty trained. We tried about a month ago, but he just didn’t get it. He’d pee all over the floor and then say, “I need to use the potty!” I’m hoping to give it a go after he finishes up the preschool year next month. She’s an absolute doll!

8. thanks for posting this! i am reading up on the topic. i was recommended a book called “potty training in less than a day”. sounds kinda similar to your strategy- fill em’ with salty food and lots of liquids, put on the big girl pants, and stay in an area that’s easy to clean up. the book recommended the kitchen, but the back yard is even better! i’ll be attempting this as soon as sisi can walk and sit on things without tipping over :)

Oh my gosh. Amazing Sarah. I’m going to have to talk to you when we’re ready to start potty training!

10. oh wow, that definitely does sound like a very successful day! i think potty training her while being outside would definitely help with all those clean-ups!
    and you will know the perfect time for your children. you are doing such a great job :)

11. Rachel says:

Wow, that sounds like great progress! Good job! :)
    I wanted to let you know you’ve won the Versatile Blogger Award;
    swing by
    when you can to pick it up! :)

12. ginanorma says:

She’s so cute!!!! Glad it’s not going too too badly, sounds pretty successful…I can’t imagine all the things they say about how to potty train these days, geez, I did it 15 years ago, and it went pretty slick, just took 2 weeks, (with a ton of accidents) no pull ups and no diaper at night…

good job mommy!

13. Jenn @ PSP says:

Aw great job! She’s such a cutie : ) There ARE a ton a potty training methods…but as a newborn? How would you do that??

14. Cindy says:

Way to go Samantha! Those are great numbers!