“Pick one room and make it yours. Go slowly through the house. Be polite, introduce yourself so it can introduce itself to you.” – Frances Mayer, Under the Tuscan Sun

So I still have a lot of decorating ground to cover in our new home, but I took the above advice and it really helped. This little corner that  I decorated is kind of a small dinning area off of the living room. Since we have a larger dining area off of the kitchen we decided this spot would be a good kids play area. It’s close enough to us when we lounge in the living room/family room, but all the toys and everything aren’t in the way. A lot of the time we play with Samantha during the day so Brad and I found ourselves in this corner a lot. It kind of turned into an extension of the family room for us. So I got the cubby organizer to put all Samantha’s toys in, but decided to still have the decor theme continue on from the living room instead of going with a kids theme (the kids bedrooms are “kiddie” enough as it is). I was going for warmer tones, that had a hint of retro/vintage, but no clutter. I may add or change a few things here or there, but all in all I’m happy with the result.

Dutch Clog was thrifted
Books and records off of Amazon

23 Responses to You’ve Gotta Start Somewhere…

1. Amanda Rose says:

I love the color scheme. The little bird and clog are my favorite pieces. Isn’t it amazing how little finds like those can make an area.
    Great work.
    Amanda Rose

2. I sooo love it! Gosh you do such a great job! Can you come do my house please?? ;-)

3. You have some great pieces here. I love globes! My sister got me one over the holidays, and it’s so cool what an accent it’s made in my home. Love that vintage record player too! I was tempted to go for one of those…but we opted for an electric one.

Oh my gosh Sarah you did an incredible job! Love the vintage feel. That photo of you guys is hilarious and I adore the record player and the little bird! :)

5. Oh wow! I love your style.

Minted Magazine

mintedmag.com

6. i love everything about this. soooo sweet! on to the rest of the house!

7. This is super cute! I love how you incorporated the clog from your previous post. I also like how it’s the play area but no one would ever be able to tell. I will have to do something like this in our home. Great idea!

Vonae Deyshawn

8. Rachel says:

Okay,your record player is WICKED cool!And I’m loving the decor…especially all the pops of color!

9. Delia says:

Sarah, you did a fantastic job decorating! What a fun & interesting display! I can’t wait to see more :)

10. LeSueurs says:

This is so cute! I love that advice. I have been wanting to decorate my house but I get overwhelmed because there is so much to do. I really appreciate this post and especially the lonks. Thanks!

11. I love the decor and your photos are beautiful! Oh, and I LOVE that album by The Shins!

Oh I love this corner that you’ve decorated! The colors are so fun and really pop. And that globe! I think a globe transforms any area :)

13. Wow!! I wanna live in that corner!

14. {OLIVIA} says:

lovely, simply lovely! love all the yellow.. so glad I found you..

15. Melissa says:

OH, love the color combo.

Love the arrangement of the shelves and pics,
    great job!!!

16. umm, completely obsessed with all these tiny details. you have great taste girl, i’m all about the vintage!
    can’t wait to see the rest of what you do!!

17. Sara Stoff says:

Wowza! Nice space. You have got the decorating green thumb lady!

18. love your style girl! Things are coming along nicely! I love globes oh so much.

19. gillar girl says:

I love that quote–it is my design philosophy. And I love what you did with this little spot–it looks like a happy space full of style and personality!

20. looks absolutely perfect! very nicely done :)
    Hope you enjoy it! x

21. Laurie says:

the pictures of your house look like something right out of a magazine! so lovely!

laurie

22. Kirsten says:

This is so adorable! It has so much personality! Love all the color!
    Good Job!!