Sarah: You’re really good [at swing dancing].  I can’t believe I’ve never danced with you before.
Brad: Actually, you have…

Those words, for all intents and purposes, were the first words that Sarah and I ever spoke to each other.  Let’s flash back a few years though.  When I first started learning to swing dance (I was 20 and Sarah was 16), I saw this good looking blonde girl tearing up the dance floor and I asked a friend who she was.  Her response: “that’s Sarah and she’s still in high school, if you touch her, I’ll kill you.”  Knowing her age was enough to turn me away…for the time being.
In the swing dancing scene, if you’re new, it can be difficult to get the elite dancers to notice you.  As far as Sarah was concerned, who was elite, I didn’t exist.  I worked really hard on my dancing for a year and thought I was good enough to ask her to dance.  It’s a random Tuesday in 2001 (I’m now 21 and Sarah is 17) at some local swing dancing club and I wanted to dance with someone at her level.  I walked straight over to her, asked her to dance, and she nonchalantly obliged.  It was a terrible experience that couldn’t be over soon enough.  I don’t think she ever saw my face because she was looking down at my Chuck’s (Converse) the entire time.  I thought she was stuck up and vowed to never make the mistake of asking her to dance again.  In translation, my ego was a bit bruised…I know I know.
1 year later, it’s November 13th 2002 (I’m 22 and Sarah is 18), we’re at a club called TJ’s in Irvine, CA. Sarah and I caught each other’s eye.  It would have been awkward to not ask her to dance, so I did.  During the song, Sarah says to me, “You’re really good.  I can’t believe I’ve never danced with you before.”  My response: “Actually, you have.”  Sarah was very embarrassed although I was being very light-hearted about it…I actually found it amusing and was chuckling.  We ended up talking for the rest of the night, until the sun came up, in her white Jetta with a surfboard attached to the top.  I couldn’t believe I had a chance with this smoking hot blonde God fearing surfer girl.  She married me, she had my baby… and sometimes I still pinch myself.

15 Responses to The Hub’s Perspective on How We Met

1. Elle Sees says:

This is so precious! I’m grinning from ear to ear. If that isn’t meant to be….

2. What a cute story! Sounds like your a pretty lucky guy!

3. Krystal says:

this was the sweetest…I got goosebumps :)

4. AaReAn says:

This is the cutest story ever!! Oh my.

I stumbled upon your blog and thought I would say hello! I just started up a new blog that is all about COLOR.

Come on over and become a follower to enter the upcoming giveaways!

xoxox
    Aarean

This is such a lovely story. It’s really lovely that after all those years you remembered the dance you both had, and that she thought you weren’t as bad as what you thought you were!

Sarah
    xo

6. so so so cute! i ate it all up. i’m asking hubs to do a post about how we met. not nearly as romantic, but just as awkward. :)

Oh my gosh I love this story! It’s so sweet, Sarah and his words just make me smile for you guys! Samantha will love hearing this someday, make sure to save this in a little book or something! :)

8. Fabrizia says:

Super cute story, I like it! Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

Cosa mi metto???

9. Julie says:

This is so so cute!!! Ah I love it!

10. Sarah Roads says:

What an adorable story. Sounds like you are blessed with a man that knows your worth!

11. I found your blog through a comment you made on BleuBird Vintage and just finished reading your love story. so SO CUTE. I myself am a country/swing dancers and dream about someday meeting a boy who likes to dance as much as i do – how encouraging to know they do exist.
    I know you just moved and have a baby but i was wondering if you still find time to dance together ?

.dena.

@PONCHOANDLEFTY yes we still dance. Not at the frequency we did when we met, but it’s more because we grew out of it. Not so much because we are busy. We’ll dance together at weddings, or special annual Swing Dancing events. It’s more of a occasional date night thing than a weekly thing like it used to be. It’s neat having it in our back pockets though =)

13. max says:

What a great story!
    I met my love at dancing, too :-)

14. [...] Los Angeles… Uh, can I just express to you how visually stunning this movie is! I’m a big time lover of the 1920-1940′s eras and we all know how much I’m a lover of LA. It made me super [...]