So throughout college I really wanted to do things like learn an instrument, take ceramic classes, take advanced sewing classes, and learn a language. Well I have things lined up for taking piano, but I also want to learn a language along side that. The problem is figuring out which language to learn. I guess the most practical language to learn would be Spanish, but to be honest I’m not really interested in learning Spanish. I think it’s because I took 2 years of it in high school and the association of high school with Spanish turns me off to it.

I will say one of the many things that is nice about knowing a language is if your family knows it too, you can have private conversations (most of the time depending on what language you know). It’s like a “secret” language. I just don’t want to learn a language like French because the only reason I like French is because it sounds romantic. I’d prefer learn a language that will be somewhat relevant and functional to my everyday life.

So far the two that interest me at the moment are either Hebrew or Latin. Hebrew because it would be interesting to study the Bible which is a part of my families and my life (and future children’s too God willing). Latin because so many other languages originated from Latin which could possibly help me figure out the gist of other languages. I could learn both, but I’d want to start on the one that would be more useful.

Any suggestions on whether I should learn Hebrew or Latin first OR even any suggestions on a different language with reasoning behind it? The next hurdle will be purchasing the Rossetta Stone program which will cost me an arm and a leg!

Cheerio,

Sarah

7 Responses to Decisions, Decisions…

1. Cindy says:

I understand your reasons for choosing Hebrew and Latin, but the thing I like best about speaking another language is being able to SPEAK it with someone.

If you don’t like Spanish, how about Chinese? I do wish I’d taken Spanish instead of French, since I would be able to use it more now, but I do enjoy some of the literature that comes with the French language.

2. Diana says:

I think Hebrew would be interesting. I do agree with Cindy, speaking to someone is important. Maybe if you take a class with Brad or a friend that would be more of a motivation.

3. JamieS says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

4. Anonymous says:

Hey Sarah!

So, if you are truly thinking about learning those two languages, here’s what I think:

Latin is a language used to critically interpret texts. Though it can be spoken, it is most useful in analyzing the written form. A drawback is that since many scholars learn it to read ancient texts, rather than speak the language, there are not many people with whom you can converse with and thus, learn the language to the fullest.

Hebrew would be beneficial as a language in which you can study and use to read, write, and speak. I actually know a few people who speak Hebrew as part of their religion. This may be one that you can practice, especially if your fellow church goers can converse with you!

Still, don’t rule out the romantic languages. When I finish with my masters, I fully intend on learning Italian and brushing up on my spanish.

Hope that helps!
    Love ya,
    Erica

5. Anonymous says:

I would learn Latin hands down. Hebrew is nice but with Latin you can understand most languages and if you ever decide to learn something else, or one day when children are in the picture, help them with their language of choice, it’ll be easier for you to pick up the language by knowing Latin. hebrew is nice but you’ll get more from Latin

6. I feel any language you decide on would be a wonderful language. You already know the language of LOVE. You and Brad are the sweetest couple. I like what Jamie said about sign language. Our daughter taught herself sign language at the age of 5 and won the talent portion of a beauty contest signing. One of the judges just happened to have a deaf son, and was moved by her ability to sign. Whatever you decide, I know it will be the right choice.

7. jon says:

You might also consider learning classical Greek. That might give you both the things you’re looking for. Greek is at the root of a lot of our Western linguistic and cultural history, and the differences between classical Greek and the koine Greek of the New Testament are slight enough that you’ll be able to comprehend both with just a little extra work. So you get both a Biblical language and a scholarly language.

Of the two choices you mentioned, Hebrew is at least a living language, again. I studied modern Hebrew for a couple of years, and since it was based on Biblical Hebrew it’s possible to understand the Old Testament, once you get a grip on the different way that modern Hebrew understands tense, declension, etc. And once in a while you run into someone who speaks modern Hebrew, so you might get to speak it, too.

Latin’s a great choice, too, though.

And of course there’s always Klingon.